SW Locums are looking for a UK experienced and self-motivated Housing Options Officer / Homeless Assessment & Prevention Officer to provide Homeless Prevention Advice & Assistance to households who are threatened with homelessness and to assess and process homelessness applications made under current legislation.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of homeless legislation (Part VII of the Housing Act 1996/2002 and the Homeless Reduction Act 2018) and experience of developing personalised housing plans.
You will have had experience of working within a homeless/housing environment and managing a demanding caseload, carrying out assessments and investigations in line with legislation.
This will include the use of prevention tools to sustain existing housing or secure suitable and affordable alternative accommodation.
You must be able to investigate issues in a sensitive manner, accurately record statements and findings and effectively negotiate resolutions with accommodation providers and landlords, in order to prevent homelessness. Some remote working available with this role.
- Ensure that housing advice and assistance is given to all clients with due regard to housing legislation (under the 1996 Housing Act, Homelessness Act 2002 & Children’s Act 1989) within the agreed timescales ensuring compliance to the requirements of the legislation.
- Identify problems causing potential homelessness and provide tailored solutions, advice and assistance to facilitate and secure alternative settled accommodation and prevent homeless.
- Work proactively with relevant Council departments, Floating Support Providers/Partners, Health/Hospital Trust, Private Landlords Family Support Unit, Probation and Registered Providers to ensure that effective support is identified and implemented to prevent homelessness, ensure timely assessments and support clients into settled accommodation.
- Provide advice and assistance to clients with complex needs and sign post to the relevant services and support
- Keep up to date with all current housing and benefit’s legislation to ensure compliance.
- Ensure that Families and individuals are placed appropriately in temporary accommodation that fully meet their needs, ensuring that move on plans are in place and that clients do not exceed legal deadlines.
- Evidence of and commitment to continuous professional development.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of the social and financial costs of homelessness to individuals, the local authority and other relevant bodies.
- Knowledge of Landlord and Tenant, Immigration, Welfare Benefits and relevant Social Services legislation
- Able to think creatively in finding solutions to preventing homelessness
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written
- Confident user of information technology applications to include database input, word-processing, and email
- Knowledge of welfare reforms and the impact that it has on potential clients
- Basic knowledge of the court processes and procedures around eviction and tenancies.
- Work with clients that are suffering Domestic Violence.
- Working with clients who have serious mental health conditions, drug and alcohol addiction and who are unpredictable and aggressive.
- Post holder will participate in the services out of hours on call rota to deal with emergency situations occurring outside normal office hours
- Carry out home visits when required.
At SW Locums you will benefit from:
- Great, fast and accurate rates of pay.
- Committed support with your own, vastly experienced and knowledgeable consultant.
- No “waffle” straight talking, conscientious and informed advice.
- Contact available 24/7.
- Access to exclusive vacancies nationwide. and exclusive training.
- Free DBS and compliance service.
- Industry leading “Refer a Friend” recommendation scheme offering up to £300 for successfully placed referrals.
- Excellent “Find your own job” bonus – get £250 for bringing your own position to us *
SW Locums follow the government guidelines on ensuring safety of all during the risk of Covid-19.
* Terms and conditions apply to our bonus scheme.