SW Locums are looking for a UK experienced Senior Practitioner to work in the Forensic Adult Social Care Team within the The Forensic Directorate of East London NHS Foundation Trust.
The Trust provides the regional forensic service to the Trust boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, and additionally the boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. The inpatient units consist of the John Howard Centre (medium-secure) in Hackney, and Wolfson House (low-secure) in the Finsbury Park area.
The service meets the specialist needs of mentally disordered offenders, the majority of whom are admitted via the criminal justice system. Forensic Social Work Staff are employed by the London Borough of Hackney. The Forensic Social Work Team provides a social care service to inpatients and community patients, working closely with families and other carers.
The area served is ranked highly on indices of social deprivation and constitutes a high morbidity area both in terms of psychiatric admission and crime rates; the two major determinants of demand for specialist forensic services. The local demography reflects a highly diverse and mobile population.
- To provide a comprehensive social work service to all patients within the unit. This includes active contribution of the social care perspective to forensic risk assessment and care planning.
- To act as Social Supervisor for certain discharged patients subject to Home Office Restriction orders and to act as nominated Care Co-ordinator for certain other discharged patients, as determined on clinical grounds.
- To liaise effectively with statutory and non-statutory bodies in formulating comprehensive assessments of need and in identifying appropriate resources for service users.
- In accordance with local policy and good practice guidance, to manage issues of confidentiality in relation to all patients, including those with high media profile.
- To ensure a high standard of record keeping.
- To prepare full written reports for CPA review meetings, First-tier Tribunals and Hospital Managers Hearings. To provide statutory reports as required by the Ministry of Justice. To offer considered recommendations.
- To initiate contact with families and informal carers and undertake formal Carers Assessments in accordance with statutory legislation.
- To participate in enquiries regarding victim/community sensitivities, where clinically appropriate. This may include direct contact with victims or their representatives.
- To ensure that relevant legislation is applied to promote patient care and the safety of the public. In particular to be familiar with and apply the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1983 and the principles of the Care Programme Approach. To refer cases to the Multi-Agency Public Protection Panel (MAPPA) in accordance with directorate policy and to present cases at this and other multi-agency forums.
- To uphold child protection legislation, safeguarding children policy and good practice guidance, particularly in relation to child visitors to the unit and patient discharge and leave of absence arrangements.
- To uphold local protocols in relation to the protection of adults at risk.
- To act as an Appropriate Adult under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.
- To take personal responsibility for maintaining current knowledge of relevant legislation, guidance, case law, research and publications. To ensure that the requirements for HCPC registration are fully met and registration continuously maintained.
- To provide activity data as required by the department.
- To act as a consultant to colleagues in non-forensic settings and to contribute towards formal training.
At SW Locums you will get:
- Attractive, accurate and super fast rates of pay.
- Committed support with your own, vastly experienced and knowledgeable consultant.
- Straight talking, conscientious and well informed advice.
- We are available 24/7.
- Access to exclusive vacancies nationwide and exclusive training.
- Free DBS and compliance service.
- Industry leading “Refer a Friend” recommendation scheme offering up to £300 for successfully placed referrals.*
- Excellent “Find your own job” bonus – get what you want without limitation for bringing your own position to us *
* Terms and conditions apply to our bonus scheme.